A/B testing has become a staple in a successful modern marketing strategy. But it’s not just a tool for marketing, it can also be effectively utilized for your recruiting strategy. In this article, we’ll explain what A/B testing is, how it can be used for recruiting, and three reasons why you should start implementing it into your own strategy.
Definition: What is A/B testing?
A/B testing is way of comparing two items, like two different versions of a web page. Usually, you start with one version of the page and then make a second version by changing some aspects of the page, for example using a different background color or a different call-to-action button.
Then you collect results from both pages over the same period of time in order to make a comparison between the two versions. The overall goal of A/B testing is to determine which version of the item is more successful.
How is A/B testing used in the recruiting process?
In recruiting, A/B testing can be used in various ways. For example, it can be used to make improvements on job advertisements, landing pages, or career pages. The overall goal of using A/B testing in recruiting is to create a process that best converts visitors into applicants.
3 reasons why you should be using A/B testing
1. Better understanding of your success rate
As aforementioned, A/B testing can help to improve various recruiting related web pages, including job advertisements, landing pages, and career pages. You can optimize for specific goals like a better conversion rate and test which changes are actually successful in reaching that goal.
2. Improved candidate experience
One of the main goals of A/B testing is to improve candidate experience. Your job advertisements, landing pages, and career page should all be designed and structured in a way that best suits your target group of candidates. Better candidate experience will help to convert more candidates into applicants and leave them with a lasting positive impression.
3. Save money
Another benefit of A/B testing is saving money. By optimizing your job advertisements, you should eventually get to the point where it takes less time and less clicks to reach your desired amount of applicants. And the less time it takes to fill a position, the less money you will need to spend.
5 tips for successful A/B testing
1. Don't change too much at once, just change one thing at at time on your B test. If you change too much, it can be hard to compare the results.
2. Think of a hypothesis you want to test. Try to think like your target audience, what should the output of your test be? For example, if you choose a real team photo as a job ad header instead of a stock image that will look more authentic.
3. Measure the performance - Which version is doing better? Some important points to focus on are number of visits, number of conversions, and quality of conversions.
4. Make sure that you don't stop the test too early. It will take awhile until you have enough data to compare your results.
5. Try out multiple variations - keep on testing!
Best practice: A/B testing example
If you would like a best practice example for A/B testing then check out our blog article on that topic here. In this article, we have a detailed breakdown of an A/B test for a job advertisement that led to some significant improvements.
Would you like to learn more about A/B testing? We will gladly show you further best practice examples and concrete implementation in the Talention software. You can request a demo here and someone will get in touch with you shortly. Request a demo now.